Byer/Nail House
3890 Sellers Ave., Brentwood
Tyson Freeman

BYER/NAIL HOUSE

THIS HOUSE, WHICH SERVES AS THE MUSEUM FOR
THE EAST CONTRA COSTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY, WAS
ORIGINALLY BUILT BY JOHNSON AND ELIZABATH FRANCHER
IN 1878. IN THE EARLY 1880'S THE FRANCHERS SOLD THE
HOUSE AND SURROUNDING ACREAGE TO JOHN AND LETITIA
BYER. IN 1922, AFTER THE DEATH OF MR. AND MRS. BYER,
THE HOUSE AND SURROUNDING ACRES WERE SOLD TO THEIR
GRANDDAUGHTER AND HER HUSBAND, ZELMA AND JAMES NAIL.
IN 1984, CLELLAND NAIL (THE ONLY CHILD OF JAMES AND ZELMA)
INHERITED THE HOUSE AND 8 ACRES, CLELLAND AND MARGARETTE
NAIL DONATED THE HOUSE AND 1.3 ACRES TO THE EAST CONTRA
COSTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY IN 1986.

DEDICATED APRIL 4, 2015
EAST CONTRA COSTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER #13
E CLAMPUS VITUS