The Eucalyptus Grove
Grove Park, Main Street, Clayton
CHS Plaque/Built By ECV 13

THE EUCALYPTUS GROVE

JOEL CLAYTON OWNED THE PROPERTY FACING MORRIS STREET
FROM 1857 TO 1870. HIS ESTATE SOLD THE LOTS TO
J. H. KELLER IN 1877 WHO BUILT A HOUSE, SLAUGHTER HOUSE,
BUTCHER SHOP AND BARN.

GEORGE SCAMMON OWNED MOST OF THE REMAINING LOTS AND
PLANTED EUCALYPTUS SEEDS AROUND THE PROPERTY IN 1878.
IN 1882 KELLER SOLD HIS PROPERTY. IN 1907 THE MITCHELL FAMILY
ACQUIRED THE PROPERTY AND THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN IN 1973.

IN 1978 MANY OF THE 38 EUCALYPTUS TREES FELL VICTIM TO
DROUGHT STRESS AND IN 1992 THESE 120 FOOT TALL, 114 YEAR
OLD TREES WERE REMOVED FOR SAFETY REASONS.

THE EUCALYPTUS GROVE HAD ALWAYS BEEN USED
FOR COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES. BECAUSE OF THIS, THE SITE
WAS PURCHASED BY THE CITY ON OCTOBER 7, 1999.

"THE GROVE" PARK WAS DEDICATED JANUARY 12, 2008.

CLAYTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY 2015