Gay 90's Pizzeria
288 Main St, Pleasanton
Eric Schrepel

GAY 90'S PIZZERIA

HERE STANDS ONE OF THE FIRST COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS
IN PLEASANTON, POSSIBLY AS OLD AS 1864. ORIGINALLY A
GENERAL STORE, THIS BUILDING HAS BEEN A BAR, BROTHEL,
BANK AND UNOFFICIAL WELLS FARGO STAGECOACH STOP.
SINCE 1959 IT HAS BECOME WELL-KNOWN AS THE
FIRST PIZZA PARLOR IN THE TRI-VALLEY.

IN THE DUSTY DAYS OF THE AMERICAN WEST, TEN ROOMS
ABOVE THE BANK SERVED WEARY TRAVELERS WITH REST AND
RECREATION. TODAY SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE THE BUILDING
IS HAUNTED BY A FULL-FIGURED FEMALE GHOST, KNOWN LOCALLY
AS THE BLUE LADY, SEEN FROM A SECOND STORY WINDOW. AN
UNDERGROUND TUNNEL SYSTEM ONCE CONNECTED SEVERAL
BUILDINGS AND BUSINESSES ALONG MAIN STREET AND IS ALSO
BELIEVED HAUNTED. ALTHOUGH LONG SINCE CLOSED, THE TUNNELS
WERE BUILT AND USED BY CHINESE LABORERS WORKING ON THE
RAILROADS IN THE 1880'S. THIS ATTRACTIVE BUILDING IS REP-
RESENTATIVE OF COMMERCIAL ITALIANATE ARCHITECTURE.

PLAQUE PLACED 2016 / 6021
BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS