Black Diamond Way
Main&Marsh Creek Rd, Clayton
CHS Plaque/Built by ECV 13
Additional Info: Clayton

BLACK DIAMOND WAY
IN 1892 CONTRA COSTA COUNTY NAMED BLACK DIAMOND WAY, AND MAINTAINED IT
AS A ROAD UNTIL 1982. (LOCALLY IT WAS ALSO CALLED “NORTONVILLE ROAD".)
BLACK DIAMOND WAY BECAME PART OF THE BLACK DIAMOND MT. DIABLO
REGIONAL TRAIL IN 1985.
BLACK DIAMOND DSTRICT COAL MINES OPERATED FROM 1861 UNTIL CIRCA 1900.
BETWEEN 1867 AND 1881 THEY PRODUCED OVER 100,000 TONS ANNUALY. COAL
WAS HAULED TO RIVER LANDINGS BY TEAMS AND RAIL.
MINERS AND FAMILIES FROM MT. DIABLO COALFIELD TOWNS CROSSED MT.
DIABLO CREEK TO ENTER CLAYTON FOR SUPPLIES, SERVICES, AND RECREATION.
INNS  AND SALOONS OUTNUMBERED OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS.
THE CITY OF CLAYTON DEDICATED BLACK DIAMOND PLAZA ON OCTOBER 28, 2000.

CLAYTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY

MONUMENT CONSTRUCTED
BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA
CH#13 E CLAMPUS VITUS