Clayton Club Saloon
6096 Main St., Clayton
CHS Plaque/Built by ECV 13
Additional Info: Clayton Club

THE CLAYTON CLUB

JACOB RHINE’S POPULAR NATIONAL SALOON HAD AN IMPRESSIVE INVENTORY OF
CIGARS AND LIQUOR IN 1874. THE SALOON WAS RENAMED AFTER CARL
BERENDSEN BOUGHT THE PROPERTY IN 1905. HE ADDED A BUILDING SHIPPED FROM
SAN FRANCISCO VIA MARTINEZ FOR FAMILY LIVING QUARTERS.
THE CLAYTON CLUB SURVIVED 1920-1933 PROHIBITION AS A CAFE AND SOCIAL CLUB.
OFFERING NON ALCOHOLIC DRINKS, MEALS, AND ENTERTAINMENT. A SIX SHOOTER
“KEPT THINGS HONEST” AT THE GAMING TABLE.
JENNIE AND CARL MILANO BOUGHT THE CLAYTON CLUB IN 1959. IN 1996 HER
DAUGHTER, DOLORES AUSTIN, RESTORED THIS EARLY WESTERN SALOON.

CLAYTON HSTORICAL SOCIETY 2002

MONUMENT CONSTRUCTED
BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA
CH#13 E CLAMPUS VITUS