Kennedy Tunnel
Tunnel Rd.&Skyline Blvd., Oakland
Jamie Korynta
Additional Info: CoCo Times, Original Tunnel Photo

KENNEDY TUNNEL

OPENED IN 1903, THE TIMBER-LINED KENNEDY TUNNEL WAS THE FASTEST ROUTE
BETWEEN OAKLAND AND LAFAYETTE, SAVING FOUR HOURS OF DRIVING AROUND
THE SAN PABLO RESEVOIR. IN 1914, IT WAS WIRED FOR LIGHTS AND RENAMED THE
BROADWAY TUNNEL. IN 1937, AFTER THE COMPLETION OF THE CALDECOTT TUNNEL,
THE KENNEDY TUNNEL WAS CLOSED TO MOTOR CARS, ALLOWING ONLY FOOT, HORSE
AND TWO WHEELED TRAFFIC. IN 1947, THE TIMBER-LINED TUNNEL WAS PERMANENTLY
CLOSED DUE TO REPEATED CAVE-INS AND RISING MAINTENANCE COSTS. IT FINALLY
SUCCUMBED TO NATURE IN THE LATE 1960'S AND THE MEDIAN LOCATED AT THE
INTERSECTION OF OLD TUNNEL RD. AND SKYLINE DR. IS THE ONLY REMNANT EXISTING TODAY.

THE MEDIAN STILL HOLDS THE ORIGINAL DEDICATION PLAQUE AND FLAGPOLE.

DEDICATED JULY 10, 2010 (6015)
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER NO. 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS