Key Route Train Station
41st & Piedmont, Oakland
Ray Bonetti
Additional Info : Key Route Oakland, Key Route System

KEY ROUTE
TRAIN STATION
ON THIS SPOT ON JUNE 1, 1904, THE FIRST KEY ROUTE ELECTRIC TRAIN ARRIVED TO BE
WELCOMED BY A CROWD OF EXCITED RESIDENTS. FROM A NEW FERRY PIER ON THE
BAY OFF EMERYVILLE IT HAD BROUGHT OFFICIALS AND GUESTS TO A DEDICATION
CEREMONY HERE. KEY FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT, “BORAX” SMITH, WELCOMED THE
CROWD TO THE LATEST FORM OF RAPID TRANSIT. IN 1937 A NEW STATION WAS BUILT
FOR STREAMLINED TRAINS WHICH STARTED RUNNING OVER THE BAY BRIDGE IN 1939.
TRAIN TIME FROM HERE TO FIRST AND MISSION ST. IN “THE CITY” WAS 27 MINUTES.
THE LAST TRAIN LEFT FROM HERE AT 6:45 PM ON SATURDAY, APRIL 19, 1958.

DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 7,1991
BY PIEDMONT AVE MERCHANT’S ASSOCIATION
AND
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13 OF E CLAMPUS VITUS