Martinez-Benicia Ferry
Ferry St. & Joe DiMaggio Dr, Martinez
Gary Johnson
Additional Info: Ferry, Pony Express

MARTINEZ-BENICIA FERRY
“GATEWAY TO THE GOLD FIELDS”
FOUNDED BY DR. ROBERT SEMPLE IN 1847, THE MARTINEZ-BENICIA FERRY WAS THE
FIRST ESTABLISHED AND LONGEST OPERATING FERRY SERVICE IN THE S. F BAY AREA.
IN 1850 OLIVER COFFIN TOOK OVER THE OPERATION AND WITH HIS BROTHERS PURCHASED
A NEW FERRYBOAT, THE “CARQUINEZ”, AND BUILT THE FERRY STREET WHARF, ONCE
LOCATED 100 FEET WEST OF THIS SPOT. THE PONY EXPRESS, ON ONE OF ITS TRIPS TO SAN FRANCISCO, FIRST SET FOOT IN CONTRA COSTA COUNTY AT THIS SITE ON APRIL 23, 1860
AFTER AN EARLY MORNING FERRY TRIP FROM BENICIA. WITH THE OPENING OF THE
GEORGE MILLER JR. MEMORIAL BRIDGE THE FERRY CEASED OPERATIONS SEPTEMBER 14, 1962.

DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 20, 1997
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER THIRTEEN
E CLAMPUS VITUS