Martinez Train Station
Amtrak Sta. Parking Lot, Martinez
Doug  Ellard
Additional Info: SP Depot

MARTINEZ TRAIN DEPOT
DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 22, 2001
THE CITY OF MARTINEZ HAS BEEN THE HOME OF A TRAIN STATION ALONG THE
WATERFRONT FOR 125 YEARS. THE FIRST STATION (APPROXIMATELY 200 YARDS TO THE
EAST OF THIS SITE) WAS ERECTED IN 1876 AND CLOSED IN 2001 WHEN THIS STATION WAS OPENED.
MORE THAN 1,000 CHINESE LABORERS, WHO ONCE LIVED IN A TENT CITY NEAR THIS SPOT
BLASTED HILLSIDES, BUILT TUNNELS AND BRIDGES, EVENTUALLY CONNECTING THIS LINE
WITH THE OAKLAND FERRY WHARF IN 1878.
THIS PLAQUE WAS MADE POSSIBLE WITH THE INPUT FROM THE MARTINEZ HISTORICAL SOCIETY
AND COOPERATION OF MAYOR MICHAEL M. MENESINI.

DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 15, 2001
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS