Old Marsh Creek Springs
12510 Marsh Creek Rd, Clayton
Tyson Freeman

OLD MARSH CREEK SPRINGS

THIS AREA IN THE MID 1850S, WAS A KNOWN HIDEOUT
FOR LEGENDARY BANDIT JOAQUIN MURRIETA, WHO WORKED
AS A VAQUERO FOR JOHN MARSH ON HIS RANCHO JUST EAST
OF HERE. IT WAS ALSO FREQUENTED BY JOHN “GRIZZLY”
ADAMS, FAMED CALIFORNIA MOUNTAIN MAN.
IN 1927 OLD MARSH CREEK SPRINGS WAS THE SITE OF THE
FIRST NATUARL SWIMMING POOL IN CONTRA COSTA COUNTY.
GEROULD (JERRY) AND VERNA GILL FOUNDED OLD MARSH CREEK
SPRINGS, WHICH CONSISTED OF FOUR BASEBALL FIELDS, TWO
SWIMMING POOLS AND A LARGE DANCE HALL. THE GROUNDS
WERE A POPULAR SPOT FOR RECREATION AND ENTERTAINMENT,
FREQUENTLY ATTRACTING OVER 5,000 VISITORS IN A GIVEN
WEEKEND. IN 1965 THE PARK WAS BOUGHT BY JOHN AND
ELOISE MCHUGH AND METICULOUSLY REMODELED YEAR BY
YEAR TO KEEP THE NATURAL BEAUTY THAT IS KNOWN
AS OLD MARSH CREEK SPINGS.

DEDICATED NOVEMBER 7, 2015
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS