Pittsburg Post Dispatch Bldg
515 Railroad Avenue, Pittsburg
Walt Stevens

PITTSBURG POST DISPATCH BUILDING

BUILT IN 1923, THIS BRICK BUILDING WAS THE HOME OF THE COAST COUNTIES GAS AND
ELECTRIC COMPANY WHICH PROVIDED UTILITIES TO THE CITY OF PITTSBURG. THE
COMPANY CLOSED ITS OFFICE IN THE 1950S AND THE BUILDING BECAME A NEWSPAPER
PUBLISHING AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER FOR THE PITTSBURG POST DISPATCH. AFTER
MERGING WITH THE CONTRA COSTA TIMES, THE PITTSBURG HISTORICAL SOCIETY
PURCHASED THE BUILDING FROM THE LESHER FOUNDATION AND CREATED A MUSEUM AND CULTURAL CENTER. OUR MOTTO, BY CURATOR JACK AIELLO, “WERE IT NOT FOR THE COLLECTION AND PRESERVATION OF MEMORABILIA, THE HISTORY OF THE AREA WOULD FADE AWAY,”
REMAINS THE WATCH WORD OF THE SOCIETY AS WE CONTINUE TO SERVE THE COMMUNITY
.
DEDICATED NOVEMBER 2003 BY THE PITTSBURG HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13, E CLAMPUS VITUS