Shade Tree
48 5th Ave., Oakland
Frits Fynaut
Additional Info: H. Carpentier

THE HISTORY OF THE SITE OF THE SHADETREE
THIS BAY FRONT SITE ORIGINALLY BORDERED OHLONE INDIAN SETTLEMENTS.
IN 1820 THE SPANISH CROWN GRANTED IT TO LUIS MARIA PERALTA. THE AREA WAS
ACQUIRED BY HORACE CARPENTIER ,(FIRST MAYOR OF OAKLAND), IN 1852. HE
THEN FOUNDED THE OAKLAND WATERFRONT COMPANY. IN 1892 CARPENTIER
SOLD THE SITE. BEGINNING WITH PACIFIC CARBONIC GAS CO. IN 1893, THIS SITE
HAS BEEN OCCUPIED BY SEVERAL IMPORTANT INDUSTRIES. IN 1979, FORTUITOUSLY,
IT WAS ACQUIRED BY THE HON. ROBERT A. SCHULTZ.

DEDICATED NOVEMBER 13, 1993
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS