San Lorenzo Pioneer Cemetery
113 College, San Lorenzo
Jerry Branca
Additional Info: Cemetery History

SAN LORENZO PIONEER CEMETERY

THIS CEMETERY, A PART OF THE JOSE JOAQUIN ESTUDILLO LAND GRANT, BECAME THE
PROPERTY OF TWO PIONEER SAN LORENZO FARMERS, JOHN LEWELLING AND WILLIAM
MEEK IN 1863. THE FIRST BURIAL OF RECORD WAS APRIL 10, 1853. BETWEEN 1854 AND
1863 THE NUMBER OF BURIALS INCREASED AND IT BECAME MORE DIFFICULT TO IDENTIFY
THE GRAVE SITES. IT WAS EVIDENT AN ORGANIZATION WAS NECESSARY TO SUPERVISE
AND MAINTAIN THE PROPERTY. IN FEBRUARY 27, 1864 THE SAN LORENZO CEMETERY
ASSOCIATION WAS FORMED TO PURCHASE THE PROPERTY, LAY OUT PLOTS, BUILD FENCES
AND PROPERLY MAINTAIN THE GROUNDS. DEDICATED ON MARCH 24, 1964 AS A
MEMORIAL PARK BY THE ALAMEDA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS.

Dedicated on December 20, 2008 by the San Lorenzo Heritage Society, the Hayward Area
Historical Society and Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13 of E Clampus Vitus