Tolliver Airship
Terminal Cir, Livermore
Phil Bartlett
Additional Info : SF Call April, SF Call May

TOLLIVER AIRSHIP

EIGHT MILES SOUTHWEST OF THIS LOCATION IN THE SPRING OF 1904,
CHARLES TOLLIVER BUILT AN AIRSHIP.
WITH AN ALUMINUM SUPERSTRUCTURE, COVERED WITH 6000 YARDS  OF PONGEE SILK. THE
CRAFT WAS TO BE 250 FEET LONG, 48 FEET WIDE AND 44 FEET HIGH. FOUR GASOLINE ENGINES POWERED SIX PROPELLERS – TWO ON EACH SIDE, ONE FRONT AND ONE REAR. THERE WAS
NO NEED FOR RUDDERS WITH THIS TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION.
MRS. PHOEBE HEARST WAS THE MAJOR FINANCIAL BACKER,
CONTRIBUTING 72,000 DOLLARS TO THE PROJECT.
FIRST FLIGHT WAS TO BE LATE FEBRUARY 1907. THERE WERE SEVERAL GROUND
ACCIDENTS AND THE CRAFT NEVER FLEW.

DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 26, 1981
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS