Woman's Club
509 G St., Antioch
Doug Ellard

THE WOMAN’S CLUB OF ANTIOCH

ELEVEN  WOMAN FOUNDED THE WOMAN’S CLUB OF ANTIOCH IN FEBRUARY, 1902.
THEY  PLEDGED TO “IMPROVE AND  BEAUTIFY THE TOWN. TO DO ANY BUSINESS
WHICH SHALL PROMOTE THE EDUCATIONAL, INDUSTRIAL, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL
OR POLITICAL WELFARE OF ITS MEMBERS OR THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE.”
THESE WOMEN SPEARHEADED THE FIRST HIGH SCHOOL, FIRST LIBRARY, CITY PARK,
PAVED STREETS AND MUNICIPAL WATER-SEWER SYSTEM. THIS LOT WAS PURCHASED IN 1904 . CARDBOARD SHINGLES SALES FOR A DIME BUILT THE PERMANENT CLUBHOUSE.  IN1910, THE BUILDING WAS LEASED AS SCHOOL ROOM FROM 1920-1922, RENOVATED AND ENLARGED.
OTHERWISE OCCUPIED CONTINUOUSLY BY THE WOMAN’S CLUB OF ANTIOCH
.
NOVEMBER 3, 2001
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS