Heritage Center
Donlon Way ( Heritage Square), Dublin
Jim  Garrison
Additional Info : Heritage Center&Cemetery

HERITAGE CENTER

DEDICATED TO THE PIONEERS OF THIS VALLEY
WHOSE SACRIFICE AND HARD WORK CONTRIBUTED
TO THE GOOD LIFE WE ENJOY TODAY.

THE CENTER IS SUPERVISED BY
THE DUBLIN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION

THIS PLAQUE DEDICATED
OCTOBER 15, 1977 BY
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Stone Valley
Stone Valley Road West, Alamo
Bob Ryan
Additional Info : Alamo

STONE VALLEY

SQUIRE SILAS STONE EMIGRATED WITH HIS
FAMILY FROM IOWA IN 1853 AND SETTLED HALF
MILE EAST OF THIS MARKER. THE PIONEER HOME
STOOD NEARBY UNTIL 1957. HIS SON ALBERT
EVENTUALLY EXPANDED THE RANCH TO 800
ACRES AND GAVE THE FAMILY NAME TO THE
PRESENT DAY STONE VALLEY.

DEDICATED APRIL 1ST, 1978 BY THE
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Don Jose Maria Amador
7134 San Ramon Rd., Dublin
Bob Ryan
Additional info : Jose Maria Amador, Wikipedia

DON JOSE MARIA AMADOR
SOLDIER EXPLORER
PIONEER RANCHER

JOSE MARIA AMADOR, BORN 1794 AT SAN FRANCISCO PRESIDIO, SPENT
HIS EARLY YEARS IN THE MEXICAN ARMY AS SOLDIER, EXPLORER, INDIAN FIGHTER, AND WAS LATER ADMINISTRATOR AT MISSION SAN JOSE.
AMADOR WAS PAID FOR HIS SERVICE WITH LAND, A GRANT STRETCHING FROM DANVILLE ON THE NORTH TO PLEASANTON, AND FROM THE CREST
OF THE WESTERN RIDGE TO THE CREST OF THE EAST. IN 1826 AMADOR
BUILT HIS HOME ABOUT 800 FT. WEST OF THIS MARKER ON THE SITE
OF ALAMILLA SPRING. HE WAS THE FIRST SETTLER IN THIS VALLEY AND RAISED CATTLE, HORSES, GRAPES AND GRAIN ON HIS RANCHO SAN RAMON.
HE IS THE ONLY MAN IN CALIFORNIAS HISTORY TO HAVE A COUNTY, CITY, VALLEY AND SCHOOL NAMED AFTER HIM. IN 1883, AMADOR DIED AND
WAS BURIED IN GILROY.

DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 23 , 1978 BY THE
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Amador Valley Hotel
Donlon Way&Dublin Blvd., Dublin
C.W.  Jones
Additional Info: News Photo, Group Photo

AMADOR VALLEY HOTEL
(LATER THE DUBLIN HOTEL)

FOR 86 YEARS A FAVORITE CONGREGATING SPOT. BUILT BY
JOHN GREEN IN 1860 WITH A BALCONY OVER THE PORCH AND
A GABLED ROOF. A FAMOUS CROSS-ROADS STOP AND TRANSFER
POINT ON THE OAKLAND – STOCKTON AND MARTINEZ – SAN JOSE
STAGECOACH ROUTES UNTIL THE 1890’S AND THEN FOR BUSES
UNTIL DEMOLISHED IN JANUARY 1946.
THIS MARKER STANDS ON THE SITE OF THE FRONT DOORS.

DEDICATED BY

JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS
FEBRUARY 24, 1979

 

J.W.Kottinger’s Barn
200 Ray St., Pleasanton
Geno Fambrini
Additional Info: Adobe Barn

J. W. KOTTINGER’S BARN

JOHN W. KOTTINGER (1819-1892) WAS MURRAY TOWNSHIP JUSTICE OF THE PEACE FROM 1853 TO 1870. HIS HOME WAS THE SEAT OF JUSTICE FOR THE TOWNSHIP.THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THIS ADOBE BARN WAS USED TO JAIL PRISONERS. A FREQUENT VISITOR HERE WAS JOAQUIN MURRIETA. ON ONE OCCASION HE WAS DISTRACTED BY MRS. KOTTINGER’S BOUNTIFUL TABLE ALLOWING KOTTINGER TO MAKE A HASTY TRIP TO A SAN
FRANCISCO BANK. THE BANDIT WAS DEPRIVED OF THE PLEASURE OF RELIEVING KOTTINGER OF A LARGE GOLD DEPOSIT.

DEDICATED JULY 27, 1980
E CLAMPUS VITUS
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13

 

The Green Store
Donlon Way & Dublin Blvd, Dublin
DHPA  Plaque/Built by ECV 13

THE GREEN STORE
BUILT IN 1860 BY JOHN GREEN THIS BUILDING HAS BEEN IN CONSTANT USE
AS A BUSINESS BUILDING. IT BEGAN AS A GENERAL STORE, CHANGED INTO A
NEIGHBORHOOD PUB, AND NOW IS A RESTAURANT.
FROM 1914-1948 THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE BUILDING WAS THE
DUBLIN BRANCH OF THE ALAMEDA COUNTY LIBRARY.
IN 1980 IT WAS SAVED FROM DESTRUCTION THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF THE
DUBLIN HISTORIAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION AND WAS RESTORED AND
EXPANDED IN 1984 BY THE STAR FOODS CORPORATION.

DUBLIN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
SEPTEMBER 22, 1985

 

 

Dougherty Station Hotel
Donlon Way & Dublin Blvd, Dublin
Paul Desrosiers

SITE OF THE
DOUGHERTY STATION HOTEL
BUILT AT THE CROSSROADS IN 1862 BY JAMES WITT DOUGHERTY WHERE
IT SERVED TRAVELERS GOING BY STAGECOACH FROM OAKLAND TO STOCKTON AND FROM SAN JOSE TO MARTINEZ AND SACRAMENTO. THIS AREA WAS NAMED DOUGHERTY STATION FROM 1862 UNTIL 1878, AND THE HOTEL ALTERNATED WITH THE GREEN STORE AS POST OFFICE.
JOHN BONDE OWNED AND OPERATED THE HOTEL FROM 1895 UNTIL THE EARLY 1920’S. HENRY BEVILAQUA, CHARLIE MAYO, THE BERTOLA FAMILY
AND OTHERS OPERATED A RESTAURANT HERE FROM THE EARLY 1920’S
UNTIL DESTROYED BY FIRE ON JULY 5, 1955.
BY DHPA, ECV NO.13 & DUBLIN TECH CENTER
AUGUST 2, 1987

 

Gold Creek
Moller Park, Pleasant Hill Rd., Pleasanton    
Dave Pearce

GOLD CREEK
THE GREAT GOLD DISCOVERY OF 1871
ON FEB. 8, 1871 TWO MEN, THE NAMES OF NEAL F. TAYLOR AND TIMOTHY COX, WERE LOOKING FOR COAL IN THE AREA FOUND MORE THAN THEY WERE LOOKING FOR. ON THE CREEK WHICH COMES DOWN THROUGH THE DOUGHERTY RANCH THE TWO MEN FOUND GOLD FLAKES AND GOLD DUST. SOON OTHERS HEARD OF THIS AND THERE WAS A GRAND RUSH TO GOLD CREEK. THERE WERE 20 CLAIMS STAKED AND SOME 30 MEN WORKING THE CREEK FOR GOLD, WHICH NEVER PRODUCED MUCH AND WAS DESERTED BY APRIL 1871. THERE IS NO LONGER GOLD IN THE CREEK BUT IT IS YET ANOTHER CHAPTER OF GOLD MINING IN ALAMEDA COUNTY.
DEDICATED TO THE HARDY MINERS OF THE 1800’S THIS APRIL 2, 1988 BY
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Rasmussen House   
San Ramon Rd., San Ramon
Additional Info : F E Myers Co.

1914   RASMUSSEN HOUSE   1990

SITE OF THE HOME OF PETER AND WILHELMINA RASMUSSEN FROM 1914 UNTIL 1937. PETER CAME TO AMERICA FROM DENMARK IN 1871. HE WAS PART OF A WAVE OF DANISH IMMIGRANTS WHO SETTLED IN ALAMEDA COUNTY. THE HOUSE WAS A CRAFTSMAN BUNGALOW BUILT ON TWENTY ACRES OF LAND PURCHASED FROM THE DOUGHERTY ESTATE. WATER WAS DIVERTED FROM AN ADJACENT STREAM BY USE OF THE MYERS PUMP WHICH HAS BEEN MOUNTED NEXT TO THIS MONUMENT. THIS PROPERTY WAS THE LAST FARM WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF DUBLIN.

THE COMMERCIAL CENTER ON THIS PROPERTY WAS CONSTRUCTED BY PUBLIC STORAGE INCORPORATED IN 1991.

THIS PLAQUE WAS DEDICATED ON JULY 13, 1991 BY THE DUBLIN HISTORIC PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
AND
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13, E CLAMPUS VITUS
FUNDED BY PUBLIC STORAGE INC.

 

The Heritage House
Fairgrounds Road, Pleasanton    
Frits Fynaut
Additional Info: Fairgrounds, Racetrack

THE HERITAGE HOUSE

THE HERITAGE HOUSE HAS BEEN THE CENTER OF HISTORICAL HORSE
RACING ACTIVITIES IN THE LIVERMORE – AMADOR VALLEY FOR OVER 90 YEARS. BUILT AROUND 1900, IT IS THE SOLE REMAINING STRUCTURE FROM THE DAYS OF THE PRIVATELY OWNED RACING BUSINESS THAT HAS BEEN IMPORTANT TO THE ECONOMY OF THIS AREA SINCE THE MID-1800’S. THE ADJOINING TRACK IS THE OLDEST ONE STILL IN OPERATION IN THE UNITED STATES. RODNEY G. MACKENZIE ENTERTAINED MANY CANADIAN AND AMERICA HARNESS RACERS WHO WINTERED THEIR HORSES HERE. MCKEENZIE HELPED FORM THE ALAMEDA COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION
AND THE FIRST ALAMEDA COUNTY FAIR IN 1912.

DEDICATED APRIL 3, 1993
ALAMEDA COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION
ALAMEDA COUNTY PARKS, REC., & HISTORICAL COMMISSION
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Rowell Ranch
Dublin Canyon Rd., Castro Valley
Rick Johnson
Additional Info : Harry Rowell

ROWELL RANCH

ONCE A HIDING PLACE IN THE 1850S FOR THE NOTORIOUS BANDITO
JOAQUIN MURRIETA, KNOWN IN CALIFORNIA AS EL FAMOSO THIS CANYON HAS PRODUCED MANY RODEOS DATING BACK TO THE RANCHO DAYS CIRCA 1820. HARRY ROWELL, ORGINALLY FROM ENGLAND, HELD HIS FIRST RODEO IN 1921 AND PURCHASED THIS LAND IN 1925. QUICKLY HE BECAME KNOWN AS THE RODEO KING OF THE WEST. THE ROWELL RANCH RODEO ASSN CELEBRATES THE 75TH ANNUAL RODEO IN 1995.
IN 1978, THE HAYWARD AREA RECREATION AND PARK DISTRICT ACQUIRED THE LAND FROM MAGGIE ROWELL WHICH HAS ALLOWED FOR THE CONTINUATION OFA VARIETY OF EXCITING RODEOS.
DEDICATED APRIL 8, 6000 (1995)
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Col. Mape Memorial Park
Mape Park, Dublin
Gary Johnson
Additional Info : VA-52
MAPE MEMORIAL PARK

COMMANDER JOHN JACK CLEMENT MAPE USN, WAS DUBLINS FIRST CASUALTY OF THE VIETNAM WAR. A 40-YEAR OLD FATHER OF SEVEN,
MAPE LIVED IN DUBLIN AND WAS STATIONED IN ALAMEDA, CA. HE WAS ASSIGNED TO SQUADRON VA-52 OF THE USS TICONDEROGA IN SEPTEMBER, 1965. AS COMMANDER, MAPE LED THE VA-52 ON A MISSION OVER HANOI.
ON THAT DAY, APRIL 13, 1966, HIS PLANE WAS HIT BY A SAM MISSLE.
THERE WERE NO SURVIVORS. JACK MAPE WAS A TRUE AMERICAN HERO,
ONE OF DUBLINS FINEST.

DEDICATED AUGUST 23, 1997
BY THE CITY OF DUBLIN
AND
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER, E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Fleet City, Shoemaker, California
Dublin/Pleasanton Bart Station
Gary Johnson
Additional Info : Fleet City

1943 FLEET CITY 1946
SHOEMAKER, CALIFORNIA DURING WORLD WAR II 3,396 ACRES WERE PURCHASED FOR THE LARGEST NAVAL INSTALLATION IN THE U.S.. THREE NAVY BASES SAT ADJACENT TO EACH OTHER IN AN AREA KNOWN AS FLEET CITY. CAMP PARKS LOCATED ALONG DOUGHERTY ROAD, THE U. S. NAVAL HOSPITAL ALONG TASSAJARA ROAD WITH CAMP SHOEMAKER IN BETWEEN. CAMP PARKS WAS THE WESTERN HOME FOR THE NAVY CONSTRUCTION BATTALION, OR SEABEES. CAMP SHOEMAKER (DECOMMISSIONED, 1946)
WAS THE U. S. NAVAL PERSONNEL AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER WITH DISBURSING RESPONSIBILITY FOR 32,000 MEN AND WOMEN. THE U. S.
NAVAL HOSPITAL ADMITTED NEARLY 46,000 PATIENTS DURING ITS
SHORT EXISTENCE.
DEDICATED 5 APRIL 1997 BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA, CHAPTER 13, E CLAMPUS VITUS WITH THANKS TO THE VOLUNTEERS OF THE CAMP PARKS MUSEUM.

 

Gay 90’s Pizzeria
288 Main St, Pleasanton
Eric Schrepel
GAY 90’S PIZZERIA

HERE STANDS ONE OF THE FIRST COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS
IN PLEASANTON, POSSIBLY AS OLD AS 1864. ORIGINALLY A
GENERAL STORE, THIS BUILDING HAS BEEN A BAR, BROTHEL,
BANK AND UNOFFICIAL WELLS FARGO STAGECOACH STOP.
SINCE 1959 IT HAS BECOME WELL-KNOWN AS THE
FIRST PIZZA PARLOR IN THE TRI-VALLEY.

IN THE DUSTY DAYS OF THE AMERICAN WEST, TEN ROOMS
ABOVE THE BANK SERVED WEARY TRAVELERS WITH REST AND
RECREATION. TODAY SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE THE BUILDING
IS HAUNTED BY A FULL-FIGURED FEMALE GHOST, KNOWN LOCALLY
AS THE BLUE LADY, SEEN FROM A SECOND STORY WINDOW. AN
UNDERGROUND TUNNEL SYSTEM ONCE CONNECTED SEVERAL
BUILDINGS AND BUSINESSES ALONG MAIN STREET AND IS ALSO
BELIEVED HAUNTED. ALTHOUGH LONG SINCE CLOSED, THE TUNNELS
WERE BUILT AND USED BY CHINESE LABORERS WORKING ON THE
RAILROADS IN THE 1880’S. THIS ATTRACTIVE BUILDING IS REP-
RESENTATIVE OF COMMERCIAL ITALIANATE ARCHITECTURE.

PLAQUE PLACED 2016 / 6021
BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS