Joaquin Murrieta 
6101 Main St., Clayton
Alan Ramsay
Additional Info: Joaquin, Beer, Song,  10 Year Rededicate

JOAQUIN MURRIETA

BORN IN MEXICO IN 1832 THE RENOWNED
ROBIN HOOD OF THE EL DORADO SPENT
HIS EARLY DAYS IN CALIFORNIA AS A VACQUERO
BEFORE TURNING BANDIT.

DEDICATED BY
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER NO. 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS
NOVEMBER 6, 1976 IN COMMEMORATION
OF OUR BICENTENNIAL YEAR.

REDEDICATED
SEPTEMBER 20, 1986
CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

RE-REDEDICATED
20 YEARS OF CLAMPING
ECV 13
OCTOBER 26, 1996

RE-RE-REDEDICATED
30 YEARS OF CLAMPING
JOAQUIN MURRIETA
CH 13 E CLAMPUS VITUS
OCTOBER 13, 2006

Re- Re- Re- Rededicated  *  C. Q. A.  *
Commemorating 40 Years of Clamping
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13
E Clampus Vitus
May 29, 1976 – May 29, 2016

 

Live Oak Cemetery
Deer Oak Place, Concord    
Duncan Kibble

LIVE OAK CEMETERY
FOUNDED 1865

DON SALVIO PACHECO GRANTED THIS LAND DESIGNATED AS A CEMETERY
TO SERVE CLAYTON AND CONCORD. THERE ARE MANY PROMINENT PIONEERS OF EARLY CLAYTON AND CONCORD BURIED HERE. THEY
INCLUDE MEMBERS OF THE FOLLOWING FAMILIES:
ATCHINSON, BABEL, CLAYTON, DENKINGER, DESOTO, DUNCAN, FRANK, GALINDO, GEHRINGER, KELLER, LEWIS, MITCHELL, MORGAN, NICHOLS, RUSSELMANN, STOCKFLETH, STRANAHAN, TREAT, TRETTE AND OTHERS.

DEDICATED BY
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS
JULY 21, 1999

 

Black Diamond Way
Main&Marsh Creek Rd, Clayton
CHS Plaque/Built by ECV 13
Additional Info: Clayton

BLACK DIAMOND WAY
IN 1892 CONTRA COSTA COUNTY NAMED BLACK DIAMOND WAY, AND MAINTAINED IT AS A ROAD UNTIL 1982. (LOCALLY IT WAS ALSO CALLED NORTONVILLE ROAD”.) BLACK DIAMOND WAY BECAME PART OF THE BLACK DIAMOND MT. DIABLO REGIONAL TRAIL IN 1985. BLACK DIAMOND DSTRICT COAL MINES OPERATED FROM 1861 UNTIL CIRCA 1900. BETWEEN 1867 AND 1881 THEY PRODUCED OVER 100,000 TONS ANNUALY. COAL WAS HAULED TO RIVER LANDINGS BY TEAMS AND RAIL. MINERS AND FAMILIES FROM MT. DIABLO COALFIELD TOWNS CROSSED MT. DIABLO CREEK TO ENTER
CLAYTON FOR SUPPLIES, SERVICES, AND RECREATION. INNS AND SALOONS OUTNUMBERED OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS. THE CITY OF CLAYTON
DEDICATED BLACK DIAMOND PLAZA ON OCTOBER 28, 2000.

CLAYTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY

MONUMENT CONSTRUCTED
BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA
CH#13 E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Clayton Club Saloon
6096 Main St., Clayton
CHS Plaque/Built by ECV 13
Additional Info: Clayton Club

THE CLAYTON CLUB

JACOB RHINE’S POPULAR NATIONAL SALOON HAD AN IMPRESSIVE INVENTORY OF CIGARS AND LIQUOR IN 1874. THE SALOON WAS RENAMED AFTER CARL BERENDSEN BOUGHT THE PROPERTY IN 1905. HE ADDED A BUILDING SHIPPED FROM SAN FRANCISCO VIA MARTINEZ FOR FAMILY
LIVING QUARTERS. THE CLAYTON CLUB SURVIVED 1920-1933 PROHIBITION
AS A CAFE AND SOCIAL CLUB. OFFERING NON ALCOHOLIC DRINKS, MEALS, AND ENTERTAINMENT. A SIX SHOOTER KEPT THINGS HONEST AT THE GAMING TABLE. JENNIE AND CARL MILANO BOUGHT THE CLAYTON CLUB
IN 1959. IN 1996 HERDAUGHTER, DOLORES AUSTIN, RESTORED THIS EARLY WESTERN SALOON.

CLAYTON HSTORICAL SOCIETY 2002

MONUMENT CONSTRUCTED
BY JOAQUIN MURRIETA
CH#13 E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Rodgers Ranch
315 Cortsen Rd, Pleasant Hill
Jason Arther
Additional Info : RRHC

RODGERS RANCH

PATRICK RODGERS LEFT IRELAND FOR AMERICA C. 1843 AT THE AGE OF 10, WITHOUT HIS FAMILY. IN 1855, HE ARRIVED IN CALIFORNIA FOR THE GOLD RUSH. IN 1868, HE AND HIS WIFE, MARY ANN, BOUGHT THIS 149-ACRE SITE TO GROW WHEAT. THE RODGERS, ALONG WITH EIGHT OTHER FAMILIES, BECAME PLEASANT HILL’S EARLIEST PIONEERS. IN THE LATE 1800S, DURING THE “SECOND CALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH” (THE HIGHEST U.S. PRODUCTION OF WHEAT EVER RECORDED), RODGERS RANCH BECAME A SUCCESSFUL “HOUSEHOLD FARM,” OUTLASTING THE MUCH LARGER “BONANZA FARMS.” PATRICK DIED IN 1891 AND MARY ANN IN 1903. BOTH ARE BURIED AT ST. CATHERINE’S CEMETERY IN MARTINEZ, CALIFORNIA.

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES 1991 – #91000305

DEDICATED 2014 / 6019
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13

E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

Old Marsh Creek Springs
12510 Marsh Creek Rd, Clayton
Tyson Freeman

OLD MARSH CREEK SPRINGS

THIS AREA IN THE MID 1850S, WAS A KNOWN HIDEOUT
FOR LEGENDARY BANDIT JOAQUIN MURRIETA, WHO WORKED
AS A VAQUERO FOR JOHN MARSH ON HIS RANCHO JUST EAST
OF HERE. IT WAS ALSO FREQUENTED BY JOHN “GRIZZLY”
ADAMS, FAMED CALIFORNIA MOUNTAIN MAN.
IN 1927 OLD MARSH CREEK SPRINGS WAS THE SITE OF THE
FIRST NATUARL SWIMMING POOL IN CONTRA COSTA COUNTY.
GEROULD (JERRY) AND VERNA GILL FOUNDED OLD MARSH CREEK
SPRINGS, WHICH CONSISTED OF FOUR BASEBALL FIELDS, TWO
SWIMMING POOLS AND A LARGE DANCE HALL. THE GROUNDS
WERE A POPULAR SPOT FOR RECREATION AND ENTERTAINMENT,
FREQUENTLY ATTRACTING OVER 5,000 VISITORS IN A GIVEN
WEEKEND. IN 1965 THE PARK WAS BOUGHT BY JOHN AND
ELOISE MCHUGH AND METICULOUSLY REMODELED YEAR BY
YEAR TO KEEP THE NATURAL BEAUTY THAT IS KNOWN
AS OLD MARSH CREEK SPINGS.

DEDICATED NOVEMBER 7, 2015
JOAQUIN MURRIETA CHAPTER 13
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

The Eucalyptus Grove
Grove Park, Main Street, Clayton
CHS Plaque/Built By ECV 13

THE EUCALYPTUS GROVE

JOEL CLAYTON OWNED THE PROPERTY FACING MORRIS STREET
FROM 1857 TO 1870. HIS ESTATE SOLD THE LOTS TO
J. H. KELLER IN 1877 WHO BUILT A HOUSE, SLAUGHTER HOUSE,
BUTCHER SHOP AND BARN.

GEORGE SCAMMON OWNED MOST OF THE REMAINING LOTS AND
PLANTED EUCALYPTUS SEEDS AROUND THE PROPERTY IN 1878.
IN 1882 KELLER SOLD HIS PROPERTY. IN 1907 THE MITCHELL FAMILY
ACQUIRED THE PROPERTY AND THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN IN 1973.

IN 1978 MANY OF THE 38 EUCALYPTUS TREES FELL VICTIM TO
DROUGHT STRESS AND IN 1992 THESE 120 FOOT TALL, 114 YEAR
OLD TREES WERE REMOVED FOR SAFETY REASONS.

THE EUCALYPTUS GROVE HAD ALWAYS BEEN USED
FOR COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES. BECAUSE OF THIS, THE SITE
WAS PURCHASED BY THE CITY ON OCTOBER 7, 1999.

“THE GROVE” PARK WAS DEDICATED JANUARY 12, 2008.

CLAYTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY 2015

 

Keller Ranch
Behind Clayton Library, Clayton Rd (Across the Footbridge)
CHS Plaque/Built by ECV 13
Additional Info : Keller Ranch

KELLER RANCH

AS EARLY AS 2000 BC, THIS AREA WAS HOME TO THE VOLVON
MIWOK NATIVE AMERICANS. MANY ARTIFACTS OF THEIR LIFESTYLE
WERE FOUND WHEN AMERICAN SETTLERS ARRIVED IN THE 1800S.

UNDER THE HOMESTEAD ACT BETWEEN 1862 AND 1872, CLAYTONS
FOUNDER, JOEL CLAYTON, ACQUIRED 480 ACRES OF WHAT BECAME
THE CLAYTON RANCH WHERE HE PLANTED GRAPES.
JOEL CLAYTON DIED IN 1872.

FROM 1872 1876, VINTNER PAUL DE MARTINI ACQUIRED 145 ACRES
OF THE SOUTH WESTERN CLAYTON RANCH FROM JOEL CLAYTONS
ESTATE AND BUILT THE DEMARTINI WINERY (NOW CLAYTON CITY
HALL) AND PRODUCED PRIZE-WINNING WINES UNTIL THE 1920S.

BETWEEN 1903 AND 1910, CHARLES HENRY HARRY KELLER
PURCHASED THE REMAINDER OF THE CLAYTON RANCH FROM THE
JOEL CLAYTON ESTATE AND NAMED IT LIBERTY RANCH”
(IN HONOR OF HIS WIFE, ELODIA LIBERTY), WHICH WAS A
VINEYARD UNTIL CONVERTED TO RANCHING AFTER PASSAGE
OF THE 1919 VOLSTEAD ACT/PROHIBITION.

IN 1913, THE KELLER RANCH HOUSE, NAMED CASA DEL SIERRA,
WAS COMPLETED. HARRY KELLER OPERATED THE RANCH UNTIL
HIS DEATH IN 1940. ELODIA MAINTAINED A LIFE ESTATE HERE UNTIL
HER DEATH IN 1954.

RANCHING CONTINUED UNDER LEASE AGREEMENTS UNTIL 1972,
WHEN THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD BY KELLER FAMILY HEIRS FOR
PROSPECTIVE DEVELOPMENT. IN 1987, PRESLEY HOMES
PURCHASED THE PROPERTY FOR THE OAKHURST COUNTRY CLUB
DEVELOPMENT. RECOGNIZING THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND
CULTURAL IMPORTANCE OF THE PROPERTY, PRESLEY DONATED
THE PARCEL CONTAINING THE KELLER RANCH HOUSE TO THE CITY
OF CLAYTON IN 1991.

THE STATE HISTORICAL RESOURCE COMMISSION DETERMINED THE
KELLER HOUSE TO BE OF SIGNIFICANT VALUE IN 2001 AND IT IS
NOW LISTED ON THE CALIFORNIA REGISTER OF HISTORICAL
RESOURCES.

CLAYTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY 2016

MONUMENT CONSTRUCTED BY
E CLAMPUS VITUS
CHAPTER 13 ECV
JOAQUIN MURRIETA