On rock near Heinold’s
48 Webster St., Oakland
Additional Info : Jack London, Jack London State Park, Flyer
OAKLAND’S FAMED NATIVE SON WAS THE NOTED AUTHOR OF
DEDICATED AT JACK LONDON SQUARE
100 YEARS OLD IN MAY 1979, A BAR SINCE 1879, SURVIVOR OF A
2998 Peralta Oaks Ct, Oakland
Additional Info : Dunsmuir Estate
WITHIN THIS CRESCENT SHAPED VALLEY IS THE BEAUTIFUL 37-ROOM DUNSMUIR HOUSE, AN EXAMPLE OF COLONIAL REVIVAL VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE. BUILT IN 1899 ON A 415 ACRE ESTATE BY ALEXANDER DUNSMUIR, HEIR TO A CANADIAN COAL AND LUMBER FORTUNE, FOR HIS BRIDE MRS. JOSEPHINE WALLACE. HE DIED IN 1900 AND SHE IN 1901.
DEDICATED OCTOBER 6, 1984
4th St., Berkeley
Additional info : Spenger’s, Plaquing Photo
SPENGER’S FISH GROTTO
|Key Route Train Station
41st & Piedmont, Oakland
Additional Info : Key Route Oakland, Key Route System, Grub Stub, Ded. Photo
DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 7,1991
48 5th Ave., Oakland
Additional Info: H. Carpentier, Flyer
THE HISTORY OF THE SITE OF THE SHADETREE
DEDICATED NOVEMBER 13, 1993
Tunnel Rd.&Skyline Blvd., Oakland
Additional Info: Original Tunnel Photo
OPENED IN 1903, THE TIMBER-LINED KENNEDY TUNNEL WAS THE FASTEST ROUTE BETWEEN OAKLAND AND LAFAYETTE, SAVING FOUR HOURS OF DRIVING AROUND THE SAN PABLO RESEVOIR. IN 1914, IT WAS WIRED FOR LIGHTS AND RENAMED THE BROADWAY TUNNEL. IN 1937, AFTER THE COMPLETION OF THE CALDECOTT TUNNEL, THE KENNEDY TUNNEL WAS CLOSED TO MOTOR CARS, ALLOWING ONLY FOOT, HORSE AND TWO WHEELED TRAFFIC. IN 1947, THE TIMBER-LINED TUNNEL WAS
THE MEDIAN STILL HOLDS THE ORIGINAL DEDICATION PLAQUE AND FLAGPOLE.
DEDICATED JULY 10, 2010 (6015)
|SS Red Oak Victory
Joint ECV 13/YB 1 Plaque
Kevin Larsen, Korey Luna
Additional Info: Red Oak Victory Ship, Unveiling
SS RED OAK VICTORY
The SS Red Oak Victory is the last remaining ship of the 747 vessels built at the Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, CA, during World War II. Commissioned by the U. S. Navy as the USS Red Oak Victory (AK-235), on December 5th, 1944, she served as an ammunition ship in the South Pacific during the war.
Returned to the Maritime Commission after World War II, she intermittently served as a commercial cargo vessel with a Merchant Marine crew from 1947 to 1968. The SS Red Oak Victory provided supplies to the United Nations forces during the Korean War and completed her career making thirteen voyages to Vietnam carrying supplies there for the U. S. Military.
After 1968 she was retired to the “Mothball Fleet” in Suisun Bay, all but abandoned for almost thirty years. By an Act of Congress in 1996, the SS Red Oak Victory was saved from being scrapped and was turned over to the Richmond Museum Association. In 1998, she was moved to Point Richmond, CA, and has been continuously maintained as a museum ship while the all-volunteer crew works on the goal of restoring the ship to an operational status once again.
E CLAMPUS VITUS
|Amelia Mary Earhart
8252 Earhart Rd, Oakland, CA 94621
Joint ECV 13/YB 1 Plaque
Steve Larsen, Chris Carney
Additional Info: Amelia Earhart, Oakland Aviation Museum
“There’s more to life than being a passenger”
Amelia Mary Earhart
Just 600 feet south of where you now stand was Oakland’s old North Field runway where aviatrix Amelia Earhart made history. On January 11, 1935, Earhart flew alone from Honolulu and landed at North Field, becoming the first person to fly solo to the U. S. mainland from Hawaii.
Earhart’s next ambition was to become the first woman to fly around the world. On March 17, 1937, she took off from North Field with Fred Noonan, Harry Manning and technical advisor Paul Mantz on board. Unfortunately, after landing at Pearl Harbor, she had to call off the trip due to equipment failure during her following takeoff.
Earhart soon announced plans for a second attempt, flying west to east this time. With Noonan as navigator, she departed Oakland on May 20, 1937, in a custom-built Lockheed Electra, making stops in Florida, Brazil, Africa, India, Australia and Papua New Guinea.
On July 2, 1937, with only 7,000 nautical remaining to Oakland, Amelia Earhart’s plane mysteriously disappeared in the South Pacific on the way to Howland Island.
“Adventure is worthwhile in itself”
BUILT IN 1879 BY PATRICK AND ANN BRITT,
IN 1883, PROMOTER AND ENTREPRENEUR JOHNNY CROLL PURCHASED THE SALOON AND SOON THE ENTIRE BUILDING BECAME KNOWN AS CROLL’S. THIS SITE WAS FAMOUS AS THE TRAINING QUARTERS FOR SOME OF THE GREATEST FIGHTERS IN BOXING HISTORY, SUCH AS BOB “RUBY ROB” FITZSIMMONS, JAMES “THE BOILERMAKER” JEFFRIES AND JACK “THE GALVESTON GIANT” JOHNSON.
DURING THIS TIME, THE SOUTH PACIFIC COAST RAILROAD WAS ESTABLISHED BY JAMES “SLIPPERY JIM” FAIR, THE RENOWNED SILVER KING. TRAIN TRACKS RAN ALONGSIDE THE BUILDING AND IN 1885 A STATION PLATFORM WAS ADDED BY THE ENTRANCE DOOR TO MAKE THE HOTEL MORE INVITING. AFTER MAKING A JOURNEY AROUND CAPE HORN, THE MAGNIFICENT MAHOGANY BAR ARRIVED IN 1902 TO GRACE THE SALOON.
ON JULY 14, 1903, A LOCOMOTIVE MYSTERIOUSLY EXPLODED NEAR THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING. THE LOCOMOTIVE’S BIG BRASS BELL WAS HURLED 300 FEET AND LANDED NEAR THE OPEN BOXING RING OF JAMES “GENTLEMAN JIM”CORBETT’S TRAINING QUARTERS AT CROLL’S GARDENS.
CROLL’S WAS A FROLICKING EPICENTER DURING THE GOLDEN YEARS OF NEPTUNE BEACH, KNOWN AS “THE CONEY ISLAND OF THE WEST”. THIS HISTORIC ESTABLISHMENT CONTINUES TO OFFER AN ATMOSPHERE OF JUBILATION WITH THE FINEST LIBATIONS FOR VISITORS TO THIS DAY.
ORIGINAL DEDICATION FEBRUARY 23, 1980